The Finnish Gem Hobbyists’ Society reg.soc. (SJHY, Suomen Jalokiviharrastajain Yhdistys ry.) was founded in Helsinki on March 17, 1977. The purpose of the Society is to provide information on rocks and minerals to its members, to further their stone polishing skills, and to provide a forum for the exchange of views.
To achieve its goals the Society
- excursions to quarries and to mineral rich sites in the country;
- visits to museums and exhibitions;
- mineral identification and stone polishing courses in its premises in Helsinki;
- an annual stone polishing competition among its members;
- monthly member meetings in Helsinki with a specific theme;
- publishes the member magazine, KIVI (stone), four issues per year.